Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 3, 2012

slow down.

Spring fun

Yes, I know. It's been a long time. A very long time.

Right now I really feel like God is telling me to slow down with life a little bit and take care of a few things. Slow down. Be patient and trust Me. I can't really explain it other than it is very clear that I have too much going on. Schedules are crazy and school hasn't even started yet for this kiddo. We're almost ready to finish up preschool and before kindergarten starts, we need to slow down. God has been so faithful to our family here recently.

I have been praying that we would find a church that we really loved. I wanted to find a church extremely different from the one we had been attending. I shared the same beliefs as our former church, but I just didn't feel the love. There was an issue that caused a pretty large rift in the congregation. I really feel like I've moved on and forgiven a lot of people who made choices that they felt God led them to do. I believe they prayed about their decisions and came to their conclusions based on prayer. However, their decisions didn't match our needs. We left for a couple of years, looking for new churches some Sundays, and other Sundays choosing instead to visit the church of St. Mattress... yeah, we slept in and took it easy. I'm thankful for those days. I'm thankful that Gabe wasn't really at an age to understand why we weren't going to church anywhere and that he just saw it as a another day home with Mom and Dad. However, now, he's older and our job as his parents is to introduce him to Christ. We were lacking.

A few weeks ago, a great friend of ours suggested we try this new church out. She loved it. At first, I was really reluctant to go. Really reluctant. I felt like Rodney Carrington, "Hey! We're the new people!" I dreaded the small talk and getting to know new people. I'm not good in situations like that. My husband on the other hand, is very charismatic and can strike up a conversation with most people. (Isn't it great how God matches us like that?) I'm usually clinging to his side, begging him not to leave me alone! Anyway, we went and we loved the church. It is a miniature church of a mega church we have near us, operating in a very similar way. Their childcare system is similar, the worship band is similar, and the sermons are fantastic. My favorite part of the service? They have a call to prayer. Anyone needing prayer is invited to go up front and a member of the prayer team will pray for him or her with a hand placed gently on the pray-ee's shoulder. I was so moved the first Sunday we went!

I knew I wanted a place like this. I had been praying that my husband would be excited about whatever new church we found too. That was key for me. I wanted him to love it. In our former church, since the rift, I have never felt comfortable going to anyone for a concern or counsel. I have not asked anyone to pray for me. I did not feel like I was in my home of worship. My mind was elsewhere every time we entered the door.

At the new church, there is a sense of freedom... it's all about Him. I'm not naive. I know every church has it's problems and issues. I know we are all sinners and fall short of the glory of our God. However, right now, I am basking in the joy of a new place where I haven't been scarred. I am lifting my voice to the sound of Rock of Ages. I am taking in the Scripture. I am wanting to get out of bed Sunday mornings and go back. So is my son. So is my husband.

I'm thankful for answered prayers tonight. I hope this is the place we've been looking for.

In slowing down, I also resigned from my seasonal farming job. The hours were becoming far too inconsistent. I planned on 'farming' the entire Spring. Due to a long, dry Spring my help wasn't needed other than a few days here and there. It caused Greg and I to think a lot about the future seasons as well. Not only did that mess up my schedule, it also caused the babysitter's schedule to be ever-changing which didn't seem fair to her. So, I resigned, knowing I'm going to be busy with my other part time job as well as my full time job of being a mom. I'm so thankful for my other job (working in an insurance office half days) because they are very flexible with hours and understand that especially with a child, things come up. This finally feels like a job designed for part time hours! I've tried part time twice before - once with the farming, and the other was the job I was working full time when Gabe was born. That one didn't work out so well because it wasn't thought out very well at all by the company. Knee-jerk decisions were made by people who "never wanted to make knee-jerk decisions". Yeah, I'm still a little bitter. But, that's a post for another day.

So that's where I've been. I've been reading my favorite bloggers out there, keeping up on what's up with you. But, I've not been a good blogger in letting you know what's up with me! It's an ongoing battle. :) I hope you all are well and thanks for reading! I enjoy sharing blessings with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment