Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 21, 2010

New Beginning

For those of you who used to read Gabe's Mom and Greg's Wife, thank you so much for following me in Blogland to Wish I Might! My GOAL is to update this every day or every other day. I really want to document this life. This crazy, wonderful, good 'ol life.

So, my little boy turned three on January 14. Three. A great friend of mine gave me this quote:

"These are the longest days... and the shortest years."

Truer words have never been spoken. Three has already brought me some pretty long days! Days of tantrums (seriously, it's like a switch was flipped the minute he turned three!), not going to bed, and talking back. However, these years have flown by. Time has really messed with me the last three years! The tantrums have been more frequent and longer. We've pretty much found that time outs, away from the fun activities going on, have been the best solution. For example, if we're playing with other kids and he starts to freak about something, we don't correct him in front of the other kids. We pick him up, take him out, and wait it out. This usually takes about 5 minutes and he's done. Not too bad.

Going to bed has been another issue in itself... He can now climb over the baby gate we had up - dang! That really worked wonders for us! But, I'll give her some credit, as a baby gate, she surely did her job. I can't believe he didn't figure it out earlier! It's pretty funny... we'll put Gabe to bed, say prayers, read two stories, give kisses, and say "Love you love you love you! No getting out of bed, ok?" To which he responds, "Ludju, Ludju, Ludju. Ok, I won't". Like two minutes later, we hear little feet scampering across the floor upstairs. Then, ever so quietly, he sneaks down the steps and peeks around the corner at us in the livingroom. Greg and I start laughing... the first time. The last few nights, he's done this like 5 times. We can't get him to stay in the room! Any suggestions from you readers would be great! How do you keep a kid in bed??
Along with the challenges, there have been many blessings too. This kid cracks me up. He definitely had his daddy's sense of humor! I love that he's getting funnier and funnier as he grows up. He's also a lot of fun to play with. He's really into Imaginext toys - he's got the Batcave, the Spaceship, and the Firehouse. They are a lot of fun to play with. He's also started preschool! No joke, I nearly cried when I saw his first book order in his backpack! A book order?? Awwwww!!!

More next time... Hopefully tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bri, great to read your blogs again! Looks like a big project but so worth it when it's done. Can't wait to see the pics. As far as keeping Gabe in his room, try taking the knob off the door and putting it back on with the lock on the outside and then you can lock him in but still be able to get to him if necessary. He might get out of bed and mess around in his room awhile, but he won't be interrupting your time. Good luck. This too shall pass as they say. :)

    ReplyDelete