Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Nesting... kind of.


I have no idea how long the adoption process will take this time around, but when we started the adoption process with Gabe, we started the nursery too. It's kind of a fun way to prepare, as you never know when you'll get "the call". I hope it's really fast like last time and we have no time to prepare! But, you never know! Today, I was cleaning out Gabe's closet (where we were keeping the crib pieces) and suggested to Greg and Gabe that we go ahead and put the crib up in the nursery. I expected a little resistance from Greg because we haven't had much of a free weekend for awhile, but a couple of minutes later he said, "Gabers, let's go get the crib and bring it down!" What great boys. I'm so blessed that Greg can see the importance of preparing for the baby, even though we don't really have a pregnancy and we haven't even been matched yet. But, like in Gabe's case, we had 2 days to prepare for him, so the more we had done the better off we were!

The inspiration for the room comes from the figurines above. When my siblings and I were little, my Grandma Smith would have us choose a nursery rhyme figurine from her shelf and she'd recite the rhyme for us. We absolutely loved it. When my Grandma died, we each got one of the figurines. Mine was Little Bo Peep. A few weeks ago, I went on eBay to see if I could find anymore, thinking it was very unlikely. That day I ended up finding 5 more and ordered them right away! When they came in the mail, Gabe LOVED hearing the rhymes. We found his nursery rhyme book and it has become his favorite. The first one he memorized was Georgie Porgie. It's too cute to hear him recite it.


So, would you like a peek at the nursery so far? Keep in mind, I have window treatments, baby bedding, and pillows to make. And those God-forsaken mauve blinds will be GONE.



We're going with a vintage Nursery Rhyme theme. Greg's Mom had given me quite a few vintage linens, so they are being used around the room. I also ordered some vintage chenille to cover some pillows for the bed. The quilt was handmade by a longtime family friend who has since passed away. The quilt on the chair was purchase on eBay for $9.99. The dolls on the chair were mine (Miss Muffett - My favorite doll ever) and an embroidered linen doll.



The crib, changing table, and armoire were in Gabe's nursery. The shelf on the armoire holding the figurines will be painted white. And, of course, the cheap Ikea light is temporary... Just using it to work on the room.


And, finally, some artwork I purchased on eBay for $5.00. I'm going to frame each of these in white frames (with the frames up against each other side by side) on the wall above the crib. I love these vintage prints.
I'm having a really hard time finding nursery rhyme fabric that I love, so I'm still not sure on that. The closest contender right now is this. I'm counting on my bestie, Tami, to help me make some of this stuff! And, I'm so excited that this awesome gal is going to help with the planning and decorating too! I just love her style.
I'm very excited to bring a new member to our family. Gabe will be a great big brother. I can't believe we're actually in the preparation stages! I've been praying for our birth mom... that she is healthy with comfortable pregnancy and that she is being prepared for her decision to place. It's such a hard, selfless thing to do. Her heart will be broken. I'm praying that she will be able put those pieces back together in time.

5 comments:

  1. I love it, so sweet. How exciting for your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest nursery! Very excited for you - I'm sure Gabe will be a wonderful big brother! That fabric will be so sweet! They have some really neat fabric at fabricworm.com, although I don't know if I've seen any nursery rhyme stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! That artwork is totally perfect - what a steal! I had completely forgotten how quickly things happened with Gabe - everything just fell into place so perfectly! We are so excited for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much gals!! Steph, I'll check out fabricworm.com.
    Sarah, Thanks for helping with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bri, Amazing room! It looks like something out of a magazine. You really have a knack for making things look "homey." And I love the story behind using the vintage theme! Thinking of you often!

    ReplyDelete