Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

two unrelated topics.

Greg's Indian in the Cupboard Books

Recently, Greg was going through some of his tubs of memorabilia and came across his Indian in the Cupboard books from when he was a kid. Oh, how I loved The Indian in the Cupboard! It was one of my favorite books, along with Bridge to Terabithia. Our early junior high English teacher read books aloud to the classroom and these were two that she chose. I don't know if it was the way she told stories - always with excitement and creative character voices - but these books always stayed with me. And, remember books like Number the Stars? My love for reading started in junior high and I've never turned back. I also remember loving R.L. Stein, Christopher Pike, The Babysitters Club, and Sweet Valley High.

I thought Gabe might take an interest in The Indian in the Cupboard, and was I right! We started with chapter one last night and we are ready to start chapter four. He was captivated! He sat still and listened so intently, only stopping if he had something great to add to the story. "Mom, what if they put MORE guys in the cupboard? Like some more Indians, or cowboys or something?" Oh, buddy... It's gonna get more interesting! Just wait and see! He just loved it. This morning, we read chapters two and three because right when he woke up, he wanted to continue the story. I've tried really hard to do what Mrs. Borchers did and get into character voice and tell the story with great enthusiasm.

We have been reading books to Gabe since he was very young. He loves books. I hope he remembers books when there are all kinds of other distractions like video games, movies, and iPads around. I want him to get lost in books like I still do now. This morning when he came in my room to wake me up, he said, "Mom, did you know there's ANOTHER Indian in the Cupboard book too?" (Return of the Indian in the Cupboard) Yes, I did... and I am looking forward to sharing that one with him too. I'm so glad Greg or Greg's mom had saved these. I might have forgotten all about Omri and the Indian in the Cupboard.

58.365 teeth dreams

On a totally unrelated note, I have been having reoccurring dreams that my teeth are falling out. How weird is that? I've found out that it's a very common reoccurring dream for people! In fact, a girl I know said she dreams about her teeth falling out at least once or twice a week! Crazy! I read here all about what this may mean. Me? Insecure? No way, I don't believe it! :) Yes, I'm pretty insecure. I guess it makes sense. Why these dreams are showing up now, I have no idea. What's really weird about it, is in my dream, I end up spitting my teeth out because so many of them come out at once. Then, when I wake up, I'm spitting and my pillow is wet. Gross. Thanks a lot subconscious. One time, I woke Greg up. This has to be one of the weirdest things I've ever dreamed about. I hope they stop! I'm tired of changing pillowcases. And, I'm tired of 'feeling' my teeth fall out!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Bri, you would not even believe the dreams I have. I have very vivid dreams that are close to lucid dreams (which is where you realize you're dreaming). Maybe I'll blog about it sometime but it's pretty crazy stuff. Teeth falling out is VERY common. I've done a lot of dream research since mine are so out there. Ask Greg...I told him about one where evil clowns crawled out of my computer monitor and attacked everyone. He teased me about that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Indian in the Cupboard (and all the others you mentioned, especially the Babysitters Club)! It's so great that Gabe is into it! That's crazy about your recurring teeth falling out dream! I've had some pretty crazy dreams but never lost any teeth in them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indian in the Cupboard was on TV recently and Nate DVR'd it. I must say that was the first I had seen it. I volunteer in the IMC at the girls' school and they recently finished watching it. I do 3 classes Friday afternoons. I must say after watching the same section 3 times over in the same day got a little old! Did they put the bad words in the book like it is in the movie??? I think that is the part the kids liked the best!

    ReplyDelete