Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

missing college and other news

18.365 missing college
Aren't laundromats the coolest? I had to run into town today to get a couple of groceries and decided to take my camera along. I love this laundromat. One of my goals for this year is to lose some weight. After I lose weight, I want to have a family photo session of the three of us... and I want to have it here! How fun will that be?!

Laundromats always make me think of college. Hauling baskets of laundry from mine and Greg's apartments... doing 2 weeks worth of laundry in one night. We had some great times in the laundromat... we would sit around reading magazines, talking, and goofing around. There are things I miss about college. I miss dating my husband, staying up late (and sleeping in late), no real responsibility, etc... But, those days are gone and on to better days!

Recently, I had a bloodwork panel done to check my thyroid levels. For several years, I've been battling hypothyroidism. My thyroid is so low-functioning that I take medication at a level that is as if I don't even have a thyroid gland. Its a very frustrating disease because it affects so many different things: fertility, memory, body temperature, the heart, etc... Along with my thyroid levels being checked, my A1C was also checked along with cholesterol and my Vitamin D level. My A1C was high and my Vitamin D level was extremely low.

Diabetes runs in my family on both sides. I'm pretty much doomed. Right now, I am considered a type II diabetic. Those were really hard words to hear.

I made an appointment with a nutritionist for tomorrow. I'm really scared. I need to change my eating habits. They aren't horrible... I mean, it's not like I sit around all day with a Snickers in one hand and a cheeseburger in the other hand. But, I grew up eating meat and potatoes and a sugary snack after school and at night. I still live that way. I know it's wrong. Any time I've tried to change things, I get so confused... this food is right to eat, this one is wrong. Then the next month, the right one is the wrong one and vice versa. So, tomorrow, I'm going to the nutritionist, telling her about my levels, and hopefully getting answers to a lot of questions about how to live better. Basically, I don't want to end up on insulin, worried about my eyesight or losing a limb.

I wasn't sure if I should blog about this. And, even now, typing it I'm not sure I want to post it. I mean, if I post this, there is accountability that I take action. That scares me. It'd be so much easier to just stay the way I am. So, I'm posting this, hoping for no judgement but for support instead. I'm asking that you, friends, believe in me that I can change. I really want to. And, I really don't think I have a choice.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I LOVE the new header. And the photo from the laundrymat is awesome :)

    Good luck with a happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete