Total Pageviews

Monday, September 13, 2010

Only One.


There's only One who never fails to beckon the morning light...

-Only One by Caedmon's Call


Every shadow is evidence of sun...

-Sunrise by Nichole Nordeman


Only you can see the good in broken things...

-Hallelujah by Bethany Dillon


I believe You are good and righteous...

Be Near by Bethany Dillon


And, pretty much all of the lyrics to Beautiful by Shawn McDonald. (check this out)


These are just things that have been on my mind lately. There's so much junk in this world. So many things that are clearly wrong that are gradually turning into being accepted. Don't offend others, keep your beliefs to yourself. There are so many people (myself included) who are losing focus. My son is nearly 4 years old and we've done a very bad job of making sure he's been to church to learn about Christ. This is something I've been feeling extremely guilty about lately. We pray with him every night, and I'd like to think we set a good example of trying to be kind to others, help others in need, and just love, but that's not enough. It's not enough to be "good people". It's not enough. So many people are losing that core belief that Christ needs to be our Savior. We need to admit that "good" isn't enough.


Taking him to church does not guarantee his salvation. Churches can have just as negative effect in people's lives as well. I know this. But, will he ever know Christ if I don't expose him? Will he ever know the Way, if I'm not showing him?


Gulp.


Yes, exactly why I needed to write this post. To call myself out. To quit being a coward. To get my happy behind out of bed Sunday mornings and show my son what it is to obey. Churches can hurt people. I know this full well. But, churches can love people too. Churches can be something good. And, I know this full well too.


So readers, I'm asking that you pray that we find a church where Gabe can grow up. Where he can see us actively involved and obeying.


I know I'm being very personal here - and why blog about this? Well, no more worrying about what people think. It's exhausting feeling like I need to please everyone. This is part of the reason I stopped blogging before... I felt overwhelmed with feeling like I wasn't as great as these other blogger moms out there. I felt inadequate. I felt inferior. But, I guess I'm feeling stronger now or something!


Thanks for listening, friends. And, thanks for letting me be me. :)



3 comments:

  1. Bri-I am very proud of you! I too was and still am fighting the "Im not good enough feeling" and worrying what people think. SO I have done a lot of soul searching and am trying very hard to just be who I am, love what I love, and know that those who love me for me will love me whether they agree or disagree. A lot of my motivation to learn to love myself is A) God gave me one life and its up to me how I live each day B) I have 2 kids that are learning from me and I want them to love themselves and I want them to grow up feeling secure in who they are so I have to lead by example. C) When you don't love yourself you hurt people you love and you don't mean to and I do not like to hurt anyone.
    I think that if you find the church you are looking for and you expose Gabe to all the knowledge possible about Jesus then like everything else you will look back and know you gave him the tools to live a great life and you will respect what he decides to do with everything he learned :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Billie Jo... Thank you for such a nice comment. You hit the nail on the head with your 'ABC's'. That's exactly how I've been feeling. We're going to try to find a church really soon. It's hard to trust again when you've been hurt by a former church. Humans are flawed and sometimes it takes a while to forgive and forget.

    Again, thank you - as always- for your sweet comments. They mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in the same boat...there some things that happened at my church that I am pretty upset about and have not gone since finding out...also some issues there that I don't think are being handled very Christian like. I am not sure what to do....but possibly going to have to switch to a church here in town, I need to decide though!

    ReplyDelete